It's taken a few weeks longer than I thought and cost a few more £s than expected, but my Colnago is back on the road. It was fully stripped and cleaned. I discovered a seized headset and buckled wheels. I've replaced the seat, upgraded brake and gear cables, new tyres and brakes from the shed.... and it's looking good. I would like to add brakes and tyres from the same era.
It's a steel framed bike and rides really well. And the brakes perform brilliantly. I'm looking forward to taking it out properly at the weekend. The only issue is the gearing - you have to work hard to get it up the hills. Going downhill fast isn't a problem.